Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sleeping is relative. Music is optional.

Well, yes, you expected this. It could not go on so well like that forever, you say.
Yesterday was Jon and Meghan's wedding. It was probably one of the most beautiful ceremonies I have attended, including P and my own wedding. We were nowhere nearly as wise and prepared for marriage when we embarked upon this delightful adventure. However, despite all the truth and beauty and solemnity of the day, C was restless. She had a small morning nap and none other. Slept for 30 minutes during the wedding and another 30 during the reception. Not enough. She was in a good mood (read trying to leap off my arms, grabbing necklace and earrings, biting my shoulder, flirting with people behind me and blowing bubbles into my dress) as long as she was in my arms, but she would scream treason as soon as anyone else tried to hold her. Exception for her Godmother. She has curly hair, that's cool enough. So, when C woke up at 1:00am after going to bed at midnight, I thought she was still riled up. At 2:00, I just bemoaned her restlessness. At 3:00, I wasn't thinking anything at all. At 4:30 I hoped that perhaps that was it for that night. At 6:30, I wished I was dead and at 8:00, I sent daddy. Why? Why was she waking up so often all of a sudden? Was it just the excitement of the previous day? Was she cold? Annoyed by her sleeper? (it had been in the laundry for the past couple of nights, so she had simply slept in her pj's).
Then came the explanation. There is, in her crib, a musical toy. It predates her actually sleeping in her crib. It's from the good old times when she would use her crib only to play in, while mommy went to the bathroom or got a glass of water. This wonderful Baby Einstein toy, which plays real classical music, interpreted by real toy musical instrument and is really truly annoying to me, at least, has three different settings. "Off" is my favorite one. Then there is the "push the button and I'll play an excerpt of Mozart's 40th" setting. I like control; that's still ok. The third setting though, is where the peace and calm of our abode are shattered. It is the "baby makes the toy move and toy will play a song" mode. Someone who shall remain nameless and who took care of C for an hour on Saturday put it on mode three. For fun. And did not put it back to preferred mode one. And so, tonight, when C woke up for no good reason, I thought I heard something strange in the monitor. Something like baby toys trying to render emotionally deep and complex masterpieces. Could that be? It was. And an hour later, it was again. Now, I would love for C to learn how to sleep through excruciating musical concerts being performed an inch from her ear, but I also like my own sanity, so I bravely went into the dark room and turned the thing to mode one or two. I'm not sure which, but it is not on mode three anymore, I guarantee you. If I hear Mozart's 40th at two in the morning, it will be time to call the asylum. Barring that, maybe I'll sleep tonight. Mozart-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment