Monday, August 24, 2009

Someone is sleeping...

Can you guess who? Last week was a pretty hard one. Between trying to recover from our trip to Cincinnati, C being a little sick, a new babysitter, various meetings and birthday parties, we were kept busy and on the go the whole week. And it was HOT. Making-my-heart-long -for-those-20-below-zero-Quebec-winter-nights hot. These engagements were all a lot of fun, but the week was taxing on our petite puce. On us too, but who thinks about that anymore. Saturday night, C woke up at 1:30 after sleeping for 5 hours. On the "good" side of normal. When I leave our room to go to hers, I always lower the volume of the monitor so that daddy won't hear her cry, or me sing or anything else that might go on in C's room as I nurse her and put her back to bed. Then I suddenly woke up at 7:00, realizing that she hadn't woken up between 5:30 and 6:00 as usual. I jumped on the monitor and raised the volume. I did that so fast that now I don't know whether I really had forgotten to turn it back up or whether it had been up the whole time. I was confused, but tired enough that I just went back to sleep. C finally woke up at about 8:00. That's a really really good night. I still wonder whether we unconsciously let her "cry it out" because we couldn't hear her. She was happy in the morning, so in either case there shouldn't be any permanent damage.
Yesterday we finally came back home after spending the afternoon with friends, had a quiet dinner and then played with C in her room. She finally realized that the bars of her crib were ideal for pulling herself up. She can even let go of one hand now! She pulls herself up, or tries to, on everything! From our legs, to her bouncer, to the wobbly workout plastic pillow. She also loves to use her pacifier to explore. She bangs it on various surfaces to see what sound it makes, use it to "paint" things with drool (mmmm) and tries to hold on to it as she crawls and stands.
She went to bed very easily at 8:30, her daddy at 9:30 and myself at 10:30 after pumping, which turned out to be a very good idea. I had been in bed for about five minutes when I heard her whine. I got back up, went to her room and opened the door. Nothing. Not a sound, not a movement. I waited a little bit and went back to bed. I was awakened at 1:30 by a little cry again. This time I went to her door but didn't open it, and listened. No sound. I went back to bed. Finally, at 5:00 when she whined again I just went in and nursed her, knowing that she wouldn't make it through morning mass otherwise. She might have slept through that one too though. Still, that's a full night! 8:30 to 5:00! Now, this doesn't mean that we slept well. I don't know why daddy didn't, but I kept wondering whether she was crying and I couldn't hear her. I checked that the monitor was on at least fifteen times and every sound daddy made while sleeping woke me up. This night was in fact much worse than some nights when she cried every 2-3 hours. However, now that she's done it, if she ever does it again I should be calmer and sleep better. Perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment